Thursday, September 27, 2007

First Things First...Almost!

I guess this should have come first. I should have started with an explanatory post before thrusting The Buggy Side of the Dog out into cyberspace. It has prompted more than a few emails from family, friends, and new acquaintances, all inquiring minds who want to know. They want to know...what in the world does that crazy title mean, anyway? Well, I am a big fan of curiosity. So, I'm sort of pleased to have inspired a little curiosity here. But I do want to explain how the title came about and what it means...at least to me.

There are, of course, some obvious associations between dogs and bugs. So, I know what you're probably thinking. But fleas and ticks have nothing to do with this arctic anomaly. No, this is something different and far more disturbing. This is about...mosquitoes. Being a transplant from the South, (the deep, deep South) I have experienced plenty of mosquitoes. I've slathered on bug dope and sprayed myself in the eyes (accidentally) more times than I can count. My senses are intimately acquainted with both the aroma and the flavor of Deep Woods Off. I've been bitten in every conceivable location of my body and have even slapped myself awake in the middle of the night (on more than one occasion) because some relentless mosquito couldn't resist my ear. I have real, tangible experience with mosquitoes. What I didn't understand right away is that Alaskan mosquitoes...tundra mosquitoes...are not the same.

Many southern states actually claim the mosquito as their unofficial state bird. Yes, I know they're kidding...sort of. I don't know if they all got together and made a uniform decision or if somebody came up with the idea and the others simply jumped on the bandwagon, but I've seen tourist shop merchandise in no less than five southern states, all claiming that the world's largest mosquitoes reside within their borders. I won't try to dispute their claims. I'm just saying...Alaskan mosquitoes are different. Alaskan mosquitoes don't just happen upon you. They hunt you down. They swarm you in a pack, hundreds at a time. They dig into your clothing and drill for blood. Wearing bug dope will keep them hovering a few inches from your skin, but it doesn't make them go away. It's like they know that the repellent will eventually wear off and they want to be there when it does. And they aren't content to just hang around. They will pelt you from every direction imaginable, so that it sounds like rain is hitting your hat or hood or jacket. I know it sounds like I'm exaggerating. I would think that too if I hadn't experienced it for myself. So, what does all this really have to do with The Buggy Side of the Dog? I'm getting there.

The one thing that sends Alaskan mosquitoes packing is a really stiff wind. Thankfully, we have a nice supply of that here on the tundra. I know there are some individuals who do not enjoy wind. It can be irritating, after all. Wind picks up sand and deposits it into your eyes, ears, nose, and your mouth if you haven't learned to keep it shut. In Atqasuk, wind is almost constant. There's really no question about whether the wind will blow, only from what direction and how hard. In the winter, when snow is blowing in my face at 45 or 50 mph during my half-mile walk to school, I will agree...wind is annoying. But, in the summer, wind can be a respite, a refuge, a blessing in disguise. If the wind is strong enough, the mosquitoes will hide down in the grass. If it's not quite windy enough for them to hide, even just a hefty breeze (at least 15 mph) will keep them behind you. That's why I coined the term "buggy side." It means just what it implies. If there is sufficient wind to challenge them, mosquitoes will hide...behind a person...or a dog...anything to stay aloft and near their potential smorgasbord.

While walking my dog one fine July afternoon, I noticed that the wind was not blowing hard enough to send the mosquitoes into the grass. I looked down at my dog, Rudy, walking ahead of me on his leash and was astounded by the sight of hundreds of mosquitoes clinging to his fur on the down-wind side of his body! It was as if an invisible line had been drawn straight down his spine and the mosquitoes dared not cross over! Of course, it was the windy side that was mosquito-free and the other side that was buggy. That got me thinking.

Wind has always fascinated me. I see a lot of symbolism in the creative and destructive power of a forceful wind. There is imagery there that I can appreciate and find meaningful. As I looked down at the buggy side of my poor dog, I thought about how extreme life often is. There's a buggy side to life that has nothing to do with mosquitoes. There are things in an average day that will suck you dry. A month, or even a few weeks, on the buggy side might be more than we feel we can bare at times and even the best repellent won't keep us safe for long. But then there's the wind. Irritating, sometimes. Dangerous, potentially. Blessed relief from the buggy side, always! Here's the important thing. There can only be a buggy side of the dog if there's a windy side to draw the line. That's what the image of my dog's ravaged fur means to me...the buggy side is real, but it's only half of the equation. The wind is just as real and it's much more powerful! I guess the trick is to find the wind and embrace it. Instead of hiding from its unpredictable nature...face it! Let the wind's forceful nature do its work, clearing away the bugs...the blood-suckers in our paths. My title, The Buggy Side of the Dog, isn't meant to focus on the negative elements in life, though I will acknowledge them. But I'd rather focus on the wind, that powerful positive, that keeps the "buggy" elements in life at bay.

So, that's where the title came from and that's what it means...at least to me.

Take a gander if you dare...
Alaskan Mosquitoes1

Remember, these are just the ones you can see!
Alaskan Mosquitos 3

Click on any photo to see more...

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, thanks for clearing that up. Needless to say, I was thinking of the wheeled vehicle when you spoke of "buggy". What a great story teller you are!

Kimberlee said...

LOL! That's so funny! I hadn't even thought of that particular definition for the word "buggy." What a different image THAT creates. I'm really glad you enjoyed the story. Thanks for commenting!

Anonymous said...

Here's my comment, finally. I love the descriptive writing. Right now, I feel as if I reside on the buggy side. I need a cool breeze to blow my way. Great blog!

Anonymous said...

Hey! Jamie! I'm so glad you made it. Thanks for persevering! I understand about residing on the Buggy Side. Surprisingly, this blog has been a little "breeze" for me. It's helped me to focus on things that I enjoy and appreciate, rather than the blood-sucking things that just wear me down. That's been an unexpected blessing. I will definitely pray that the wind picks up in your life VERY SOON. Thanks so much for stopping by and commenting. I hope you'll do it often. I love hearing from you!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kimberlee, my sister Ami Wilson sent me here to get a good idea of what she's moved herself into recently! Great information and pictures. Keep Ami company for me!

Julie Harris

Anonymous said...

Hi, Julie! Nice to "meet" you! I can assure you that we feel very fortunate (THRILLED!) to have Ami this year. I'm sure we will be keeping each other company, especially during the confining part of the year when it's dark all the time. I'm so glad Ami pointed you in this direction and that you are enjoying the information. Thanks for commmenting! :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Kimberlee
I am Ami Wilson's mom. When Ami first told me of her plans to accept a job in Atqasuk I had mixed feelings. One of excitement for her and another of a mother's concern for her daughter who would be so far away and not knowing anyone. Now that she is there and I see the happiness in her face (in pictures) I know she will be fine. Your blog is wonderful. Tell my daughter hello...and keep her company.
Vickie Glassman

Anonymous said...

Hi, Vickie! We are all SO happy (and fortunate) to have Ami here! And I think she and I are going to be great friends! She's so positive and energetic...and she's wonderful with the kids! I know it is probably scary knowing how far away she is, but we'll look out for each other. I am so glad you are enjoying the blog. Please visit often and stay in touch! :)

Anonymous said...

Greetings from far away New York!
I have to say that I will never again complain about our bug problem!

Kimberlee it is amazing to again be in touch!

I too have started a Blog... check out my web site and also feel free to post!

Anonymous said...

Jamie! I'm so excited to hear from you! Thanks for venturing over to "The Buggy Side." LOL

I'm really looking forward to checking out your blog as well! Thanks for visiting! :)

Anonymous said...

Wow. I thought you were crazy when you told me you were moving to Alaska. I told you your boogers would freeze. I never would have thought mosquitoes were that bad. That is horrible! OMG, you have temporarily rendered me speechless. Congratulations. That is a feat few have accomplished.

Anonymous said...

Buffalo Billiot, huh? LOL! Now why didn't I think of that? It's perfect! :)

I find it hard to believe that you have been rendered speechless. Writer's block, maybe...but never speechless!

And, yes, the mosquitoes are a force to be reckoned with! But, it can be done.

I'm so glad you dropped by the blog, Trisha! Please visit again!