Friday, July 10, 2009

Alaska Geographic



A couple of days ago, I caught the last half of a program on PBS previewing the new Ken Burns documentary about America's National Parks. Although I only saw part of the preview, what I did get to see was excellent! I can't wait to view the entire twelve-part series.

Yesterday, I received an email from Alaska Geographic highlighting
Ken Burns' visit to Anchorage for a special presentation of his documentary. All the proceeds from this event were dedicated to supporting Alaska Geographic and the National Parks Conservation Foundation.

That reminded me that, although I've had a little blurb on my sidebar for a long time describing
North Slope Now one book in the excellent Alaska Geographic series, I've never really taken the time to point out what a great resource Alaska Geographic's website is for anyone interested in learning more about Alaska or experiencing The Great Land for themselves.

The website has free,
downloadable travel guides and a terrific bookstore with more titles than I could ever list on my blog such as, One Man's Wilderness, the story of Richard Proenneke's Alaskan experience that began as a one-year experiment and became a thirty-year adventure. There is a companion DVD available as well which was developed from the diary and film clips that Proenneke recorded during his time there. Just watching him build a log cabin from scratch, all on his own, is worth the price of the DVD!

If Alaska has ever held any fascination for you, Alaska Geographic is a great place to begin an exciting adventure of your own!

3 comments:

Bryan said...

I'm really looking forward to the National Parks series also. I've been curious about checking out the Alaska websites that you have listed for a long time, but I have spent NO time on the computer lately. I may have to Make some! :-)

Kimberlee said...

Hi, Bryan! Good to hear from you! I understand about not having time on the computer. I do hope you get to check out Alaska Geographic at some point, though, because it's really a good one. As I mentioned, there are free, downloadable travel guides...hint, hint, hint!
:)

Bryan said...

Hmmm, do I want to use a Third Party travel guide, or a Live someone that has a Personal perspective?? :-)