Monday, July 20, 2009

Squirrelly

DSC04760_3

It's not just the landscape that gets all squirrelly this time of year.

I'm sitting here, in my classroom, trying to update my blog, and I just had to close the mini-blinds because the sun is so bright that I'm beginning to see spots...at 12:45 AM.

The last few days have been cool (in the 40's and 50's), with light winds around 20 mph and relatively bug-free air space. Yes! Mosquitoes have been sparse for the last couple of days!

I'm hoping it's a trend and not just a blip.

I guess we'll see.

According to this cool chart, we have about 35 days before the sun finally dips below the horizon again. These super-long days make sleeping impossible for some, optional for others.

Don't think for a minute that parka squirrels are the only ones enjoying the midnight sun.

DSC04764

What would you do with 24 hours of daylight?

4 comments:

Bryan said...

Bleh. You didn't delete my previous comment did you??? Anyway, I tend to stay up too late already, I'm not sure that 24 hours of sunlight would be good for me! I can hear another round of Disc Golf calling already. I know my writing would suffer, I tend to write more in the darker hours already.

Kimberlee said...

Hey, Bryan.
I didn't see another comment, so (no) I guess I didn't delete it. You are right about the tendency to overbook one's time with so much sunlight to accommodate. It's extremely easy to get the days/nights "upside down" as they say here. I try to make my bedroom as dark as possible and that helps when staying on a schedule is important. :)

Anonymous said...

I would probably work myself silly, or till I couldn't go on anymore..I noticed the sun arriving later and later to start the day. I know the days are getting shorter. Fall will be here before we know it, with winter fast on it's heels. The years seem to be flying past.
tammy

Kimberlee said...

Hi, Tammy.
Yes, I agree. Time marches on at a break-neck pace, it seems! It's easy to over-do during the summer. That's fine when/if there is no schedule to keep, but can be a killer when there is. School tends to get crazy in the spring with increasing amounts of sunlight. Kids don't want to go to sleep, so they fall asleep at school. It's a constant battle.