Thursday, November 19, 2009

A Really Great Shew!

The talent show went off without a hitch.

It was a team effort between school staff (who organized) and Healthy Communities (who supported with funding).

All I can say is...Ed Sullivan would have been proud.

It was a variety show with variety in spades!

Not only was there great singing...

DSC06315

DSC06353

poetry,

Poetry from sweet lips

mechanical impressions,

DSC06323

a completely original handpuppet video,

DSC06338

and an amazing guitar solo.

DSC06378

There was even one act that literally defied definition!

DSC06370

And the refreshments were pretty awesome too!

DSC06394

In spite of being sick, I was really glad to have attended. And I was so proud of all the contestants. I think performing in front of family and friends with absolutely no chance for anonymity might be even more difficult than facing an audience of strangers. But each performed beautifully. No one choked or cried or backed out at the last minute. It was a fun night full of laughter and applause...just the way we like it around here.

One of the highlights of the evening (besides the Sisters of the Boa Act, that is) was when quiet, unassuming, Peter took a walk on the wild side with his electric guitar. I was expecting him to play some sweet little ballad on his acoustic because I knew he was self-taught and a little shy. I just figured he'd play something low-key and safe.



Surprise!

Think big time rocker without the absurd persona.

I think the entire gym was shocked and awed as his fingers fluttered up and down the strings. He ended up walking away with a well-deserved first place prize. Congratulations, Peter! Can't wait to hear more.


If the video above doesn't work for you, give it a try here

Didn't see your favorite act in this post? Look for more photos on my Flickr account (click any photo and you'll be sent there automatically).

6 comments:

Florida Beach Basics said...

what fun - just the way a community gathering should be. glad to see your post and find you're feeling better. marge

Sandcastle Momma said...

I'm glad you're feeling better!
What a great talent show. It looks like everyone had fun and that guitar solo was incredible!

Dog Hair in my Coffee said...

That first little girl is SO beautiful. Just looking at her picture makes me smile. What beauty. I have begun to really understand and appreciate the rural Alaskan villages. You are lucky to live there.

Kimberlee said...

Marge...
Thanks so much! I'm glad some of the fun translates. It is nice to have community events. I actually wish there were more.


Sandcastle Momma...
Yep...Peter was definitely the sleeper that caught everyone by surprise. Thanks for your kind comment!


Coffeedog...
I totally agree...on ALL counts! And I was super proud of that little beauty. She was the first one on stage...so I thought she was very brave for a five year old. Wait, she just turned six last week! :)

Amelia said...

I wished we had been here to watch! I was so proud of my little sister!

Good pictures. :)

Kimberlee said...

Yeah, I wish you'd have been there too. She was awesome...so brave! But I know you had a sick baby at the time...gotta take care of business first! :)