Friday, March 28, 2008

Kid Quote

4th grader: Kimberlee, did you see the pentagons?

Me: Hmm. Which pentagons?

4th grader: The ones on the tundra.

Me: There were pentagons on the tundra?

4th grader: Yeah. I saw 'em.

Me: You saw pentagons? I don't know what you mean. Why were there pentagons on the tundra?

4th grader: I don't know. They just came.

Me: You mean like aliens left them there?

4th grader: Noooo! (giggles)

Older/wiser 6th grader: Not pentagons! They were rollagons!

4th grader: Oh, yeah, rollagons!


:)

*
*
*
I hadn't seen the rollagons, but I'm keeping my eyes open. They are traveling back and forth from Barrow, something to do with the fuel farm. This is the first time rollagons have been to Atqasuk in over six years. I'm really hoping to catch a glimpse.

Click here for more info:



5 comments:

Steve said...

I've never heard the term "rollagon." It's presumably some large hovercraft? I'd really like to see those in action, too. That was a funny exchange between you and the student.

R.Powers said...

Those conversations are one of the intangible joys of teaching.
I'd like to see one of those too.

Anonymous said...

Hey, Steve...The photo that I posted does look like some kind of hovercraft, but I discovered today (when I saw the rollagons for myself) that the photo is either a different type of rollagon or a different type of vehicle altogether. I'll post the photos that I took today as soon as I can get them uploaded. The article that I linked below that questionable photo describes EXACTLY the type of machines that I saw today. They were very interesting.

Hi, FC...
You're right about the intangible joy of all those funny things kids come up with. I wish I'd had the presense of mind to start recording that sort of thing way back when I started teaching. I'd have a goldmine of wisdom (or at least entertainment) by now! Check back in the next day or two if you're interested in seeing the rollagons that I photographed today. :)

threecollie said...

I am so excited to find your blog. It looks like it is going to be really fun to read. Saw your comment on Pure Florida and came over for a look see.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Three Collie! I'm so glad you decided to stop by. I've visited your blog as well and really enjoy all your photos of rural life. I looked at your most recent sunrise photos today. They are really beautiful! Thanks for saying hello.